MBA Peregrinations

Charting the course of my travels through the MBA experience.

Thursday, February 01, 2007

Negev & Dead Sea

So after a debilitatingly large meal, we hopped into the car and started the long drive into the Negev. The desert is not sandy at all, more craggy and with plenty of interesting topography. On our way down, we gave a couple of German backpackers a lift from a lookout point down to the sea. As a side note, most of the backpackers I've met during my travels (not just here) have been Aussies, Brits, or Germans - rarely do I meet American or Asian backpackers.

On our way to the Dead Sea, I marveled at how much the topography of the area reminded me of my drive through Utah. And then I realized that Utah also has the Great Salt Lake, which I suspect is very similar to the Dead Sea. So if any of you have ever driven through Utah, that's similar to what the Negev around the Dead Sea looks like... with a few palm trees and wild animals thrown in.



Once we reached the shore, we decided to check out the water. You can read more about it here, but the highlights of the Dead Sea are:

- The shore is the lowest (dry) place on Earth.
- It is the saltiest body of water on Earth.
- Because of the high salinity, objects are unusually buoyant - so people float easily.
- Its called the Dead Sea because nothing can live it - no fish can survive the salinity.
- There are many spas and treatment facilities around the area because the high mineral content of the water and high oxygen environment of the area are supposed to have health benefits. People come from all over the world to experience these benefits.

I didn't have my swim gear on me, so we just rolled up our jeans and stood in the water. We were in a public beach, so there were other people around. It was wild to see a guy just floating in the water.



I can't swim and have a tough time staying afloat in water, so I may have to go back to test out the buoyancy. We also tasted the water - it was crazy, salty to the point of being bitter. Once we got out, the water felt strange on my skin, almost oily. We let the water air dry instead of wiping it off, and were left with streaks of salty residue. Luckily, there were showers close by, so we could rinse off before getting back into the car. We did stick around long enough, though, to enjoy my favorite time of the day - dusk. Here are a few more pictures.

I've heard that there are all sorts of therapies given at the spas, including a mineral mud bath that is supposed to feel very strange. My curiosity has been peaked, so I'm hoping to return to test out the buoyancy effect and be slathered in mud. Awesome.

Next up, the resort town of Eilat and a day trip to Jordan.

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

At 6:16 PM, February 01, 2007, Blogger shmoo said...

It's extremely buoyant, but be careful if you have any open cuts or anything, because that can be really painful.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home