MBA Peregrinations

Charting the course of my travels through the MBA experience.

Friday, November 17, 2006

Its Official

I have some exciting news. While I received this news many months ago, I wasn't sure if I would be moving forward with my plans given the ups and downs of the recruitment season. Though I haven't yet decided what to do post-MBA, I did a mental regroup last night and this morning.

Actually, last night I was just mental more than anything else. The little hamster in my head was racing way too fast on the wheel - worrying about job prospects and figuring out what to do with the rest of my life. So I decided to go out and have a nice dinner and drinks to relax. In fact, dinner was quite tasty and I ended up stunning the hamster and the rest of me senseless with too much to drink. Enter drunken lunatic phase, during which I decided that I wasn't going to move forward with my original plans and continue to evaluate job opps.

Fast forward to this morning. Frightening as it may sound, I was thinking more clearly this morning in my sober and slightly hungover state than I have in a while. And I realized several things:
1) I am an employable individual. I have been blessed with a good education, am passionate about what I want out of life and the impact I want to make on the world, and am able to work with others well. [Insert Stuart Smalley quote here]
2) The opportunities to find a dream job will still be here, they aren't running away just yet.
3) The opportunity cost of not living one's life to the fullest is too high, as I won't be able to take advantage of the same things should I get reincarnated as a snail.

So the news? I'm studying abroad next quarter. In Tel Aviv, Israel. The flight is booked. Downsides - not having Chicago GSB resources at my disposal to look for a job, and having to delay the search by several months. Upsides - not having to deal with the freezing cold and hanging out in gorgeous weather, getting the experience to spend a good chunk of time in a foreign country and learning about a fascinating region of the world, gaining a degree of experiential learning that I could never get from a book or article, and the list goes on...

WoOt!

Labels: , , , ,

6 Comments:

At 3:40 PM, November 17, 2006, Blogger mkk said...

Great decision! I'm glad you decided to go because of all the reasons you've come to realize. Otherwise, I didn't want to be around you in the Spring when you'll have that amazingly perfect job in hand (which you'll have no matter what...)and be moping around about not going abroad. Life's too short!

 
At 9:25 PM, November 17, 2006, Blogger shmoo said...

Have an awesome time! I fondly remember going with the other 13 year olds on my Bar Mitzvah trip to the arcades on Dizengoff Street. I don't remember doing that when I went back at 17, and I imagine neither of us would be as excited by that now, but whateves. Have fun and don't get blown up.

 
At 10:15 PM, November 17, 2006, Blogger Forrest Gump said...

this is so cool. tel aviv during a the ongoing middle east crisis should be one hell of an experience. have fun and be safe.

 
At 7:34 PM, November 19, 2006, Blogger Wakechick said...

That is awesome news! You will have an amazing quarter, I'm sure. I'm jealous :)

 
At 9:05 AM, November 21, 2006, Blogger KV said...

wow it's so cool that you're going there. I heard the sunset is beautiful and you can even surf (tiny waves)

 
At 1:23 AM, December 17, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hope you made it safe, be sure to find a trusted fellow to put you in a cab when you are driunk shitless now that I'm not here anymore.
Xiexiea

 

Post a Comment

<< Home