MBA Peregrinations

Charting the course of my travels through the MBA experience.

Wednesday, May 10, 2006

Hopeful

So, a little over a month ago, my mom was diagnosed with cancer. It was difficult for me to deal with, especially because I heard it over the phone and this is the first time in my life I've been more than a quick car ride away from my parents. I'd informed a few friends, but mostly kept it on the DL. Not really sure why, but I guess I just couldn't handle posting about it - thinking about it seemed tough enough. The first several weeks were filled with phone calls, mostly comprised of me talking to mom about how she felt and telling her about my life to let her mentally escape for a few minutes, and grilling my dad about details on tests, treatments, prognoses, doctors, etc. She has a moderately aggressive form of cancer, and the first several days when we knew she had cancer but didn't know anything else were very, very frustrating.

Spoke to my dad today, and the good news is that it looks like the cancer hasn't spread, and the therapy seems to be working. So the prognosis is good, and the chances are high that the therapy will destroy the cancerous cells before they spread. Writing about the details of my life and daily goings-on at school seemed rather irrelevant during this time period, but it was a way for me to mentally escape as well.

The fact that I'm going to California for my internship turned out to be rather fortuitous. Even if I end up having to travel, I'll at least have the opportunity to spend a little bit of time with mom before heading off to who-knows-where. I'm looking forward to seeing her now more than ever, and I hope that by the end of summer, she'll be up-and-about enough to come visit me in Chicago before school starts up again. I've raved about Chicago in the summertime to her and my dad, and since I don't know where I'll end up after school, this would be a great chance for us to experience it together.

17 Comments:

At 9:41 PM, May 10, 2006, Blogger Forrest Gump said...

my best wishes and prayers go out to your mom for a speedy recovery.

 
At 10:12 PM, May 10, 2006, Blogger Josekin said...

Stay strong. For everyone.

 
At 11:27 PM, May 10, 2006, Blogger PowerYogi said...

I had no idea! good wishes, le V.

 
At 12:08 AM, May 11, 2006, Blogger VR said...

Big up; chin up; much love.

 
At 1:08 AM, May 11, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

best wishes and sending good thoughts

 
At 9:25 AM, May 11, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is good news! I'm sure everything will work out.

 
At 9:25 AM, May 11, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

(that's shmoo above, btw)

 
At 1:53 PM, May 11, 2006, Blogger Huckle Cat said...

That's great that you'll be near her. Your family is in my thoughts!

 
At 12:01 AM, May 13, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My mother was hit by cancer three times over the last 12 years. Each time different type and the interval is getting shorter. With family support and her strong will, she is coping well.

Be more sensitive to your mother's needs and feelings but also try to relax a bit mentally - for you and your father, because no doctor would guarantee a cure and the treatment may be a long process. The family needs to find a new balance for the daily life.

 
At 12:07 AM, May 15, 2006, Blogger mandar said...

Be hopeful, be strong and be there for her. My prayers are with you and your family.

 
At 3:37 PM, May 15, 2006, Blogger i_will_make_it said...

My best wishes to your mom on a fast recovery. Keep the faith, and I'm happy to hear your spending time with your mom and family.

 
At 5:26 PM, May 22, 2006, Blogger KV said...

Good luck to you and your mommy.

 
At 1:22 AM, June 07, 2006, Blogger Marina said...

All the best thoughts and wishes to your whole family and especially your mom.

Thanks for stopping by my page. I think with each day the Peru trip memories get better and better in my mind, though I doubt I ever want to do an altitude trip again!

 
At 2:55 PM, July 23, 2006, Blogger sorebrek said...

Hey, Hope your mom feels better soon. I've been meaning to write in and warn you that the winter garden is going to be a little crowded come this fall. Thanks! I've been out of touch with the blogs - you've been posting quite regularly!

 
At 11:00 PM, August 12, 2006, Blogger MBABlogger said...

my best wishes to your mother for a speedy recovery and good luck to u for ur internship.. Enjoy spending time with ur mother

 
At 3:31 PM, August 14, 2006, Blogger Keven said...

Hope you've had good news about your mother since this post and your internship was a good one.

 
At 12:31 AM, August 15, 2006, Blogger Le Voyageur said...

thx to everyone for the well wishes! my mother is doing very well and as far as we know, there are no malignant cells left. she is fully recuperated.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home