MBA Peregrinations

Charting the course of my travels through the MBA experience.

Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Econ at the GSB

Its a good thing that I love HPC, because I spend so much bloody time here. Despite having class on 3 days, I usually end up on campus every day of the week. I suppose its inevitable with 4 classes, 3 study groups, official involvement in 3 student groups, unofficial involvement in a few more, LPFs, and those one-off activities that you just don't want to miss out on.

So as I had mentioned previously, I'm truly enjoying learning this quarter, and there is already a frontrunner for my fave class. I may be a geek for saying it, but I think economics is fantastic. I had minimal exposure to it in undergrad - yours truly was a techie, not a fuzzy (nor an itchy or scratchy) - but I'm currently taking my 3rd econ course and well on my way to a concentration in it. Definitely not something that I planned before getting here, but the courses are so interesting that the concentration is inevitable.

I can't wax poetic about everything here, but when it comes to econ, Chicago is solid. There are some heavy-hitters among the faculty and there's interesting stuff going on, but more importantly for me as someone with little background but a desire to learn, the professors are fantastic teachers. A good professor is key to enjoying any topic; its an added bonus when you have a stellar prof for a topic you love. I had to bid some serious points for my prof this quarter, but he's worth every single one. Any guy that makes me laugh at 8:30 am is golden.

In other news, Saturday night is the highly anticipated BBB - Big Bhangra Blast. Every year, SABG organizes this event, and its one of the biggest on the GSB campus. There is a sizable South Asian population at the GSB, and I expect the vast majority of that population to be present and hungry for some beats. I've also spoken to quite a few non South-Asian GSBers that are planning to attend. Though they're hungry for something else. Apparently the catered Indian food is a bigger draw for many of them, but I'm sure they'll change their minds when the music starts... ;)

2 Comments:

At 11:28 AM, April 12, 2006, Blogger Huckle Cat said...

I wish I could go! But I can't miss my sister's BBB -- Big Birthday Bash. Next year!

 
At 4:41 PM, April 13, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

SABG site does not show the events planned for 2006 except for the India tour. I thought there was some event in May 2006.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home