MBA Peregrinations

Charting the course of my travels through the MBA experience.

Monday, April 10, 2006

Back to the grind... but I'm lovin' it.

Back from Japan, and it took about a week to recuperate from the jetlag. I was dependant on a strong cup of coffee at 3pm everyday to prevent falling over in class (needless to say, there wasn't much academic absorption the first week of classes). So the trip was great, met some new folks (GSBers and people in Japan) and reconnected with others.

The three words that pop into mind when I think of this trip - vending machines, karaoke, and shrines. These certainly don't do justice to the full experience, but they were quite ubiquitous during the trip.

Rather than launch into full detail, I'll wait until the article on the trip gets printed in the upcoming issue of ChiBus. Suffice it to say that I had some interesting experiences during my week... but no regrets. ;)

At the beginning of Week 3, and I'm loving school this quarter (erm, more so than ever) - taking 4 classes again (but without the added weight of recruiting) and enjoying learning (what a concept). And I'm actually making it out more often. I went to the gym for the first time in longer than I care to admit, and it felt fantastic (after the pain subsided). I'm also socializing (translation, hitting the pub) more often and hanging out blowin' time in the WG. Its also the last quarter to hang with the 2nd year students that, simply put, kick ass. Advice to incoming students - get to know 2nd years in addition to your fellow 1st years. I'm still tight with some 2nd years that I met during Admit Weekend, and they are fantastic (not to mention really helpful).

Today, I attended a talk by Jim Mullen, CEO of Biogen Idec. He gave a great synopsis on the economics of healthcare and valuation in the biotech industry. Last quarter, I missed way too many interesting talks because of my hectic schedule. And yet, the opportunity to attend these types of events are advantages that top-notch institutions afford. So I took advantage of it and am hoping to do so more often this quarter.

In other news, after a mild winter, spring has arrived in Chicago. Flowers are abloom and its supposed to get up to 21 C today! Not that I'm going to be outside to enjoy it since today is heavy on meetings, but its nice to know that the gloves and marshmallow coat can go to the back of the closet. As Duran Duran asks, can you taste the summer?

Before I sign out, I wanted to get a shout out to Clear Admit for the BoB nom. Imagine my surprise to find that people outside of 1 or 2 other GSB bloggers actually read my rants. Thanks guys!

3 Comments:

At 9:51 PM, April 10, 2006, Blogger Huckle Cat said...

Nicely done, LV - you certainly deserve the nod!

 
At 10:43 PM, April 10, 2006, Blogger Forrest Gump said...

yeah - lot of us still read your blog, and probably vote for you too.

i guess you will post the link to the chibus article here on your blog ? (once its printed)

 
At 11:03 PM, April 10, 2006, Blogger Le Voyageur said...

fg - will def post the link, the authors have a wicked sense of humor... :) when is the next update from K? here's hoping that you'll get some good news soon...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home