MBA Peregrinations

Charting the course of my travels through the MBA experience.

Monday, February 27, 2006

Um, so are you ever going to blog again?

I've gotten this question numerous times in the past several months. Yes, yes, I realize that it's been entirely too long since my last post. You see, dear friends, I've been through a hell of a quarter. I didn't realize how much rougher it would get during recruitment season. And genius that I am, I decided that after taking 3 courses last quarter, with a bit of hard work and sacrifice, recruitment + 4 courses was doable. Be ye not so stupid.

It has been a roller-coaster ride, and it was often hard to see the light at the end of the tunnel when the dings were flowing so freely. They do help one to grow a thicker skin, but the search for a summer offer is exhausting because the whole process drives you to cast a wider net than you normally would. Many firms recruit in much smaller numbers for interns, so getting an offer with the coveted firms is rather competitive. Given this, people tend to interview with more firms, which makes for a grueling several weeks. To sum it up, on-campus recruitment is NUTS. Last week I told a prospective student that the Winter Garden acts as a barometer for the mood on campus. During recruiting, it was intense. First years in suits exhibiting every emotion under the sun - anxiety, confidence, frustration, depression, elation... Walking in the Winter Garden now is a different experience altogether. People have reverted to wearing jeans and smiles.

Not all students have offers, only about half get their summer internships through on-campus recruiting. The rest search off-campus, and I've heard that many get some pretty cool and less obvious gigs this way. Luckily, I have a few offers on my plate, and a few more options to explore before making my decision.

So my courses fell by the wayside during the chaos, and its now time to atone for my sins. The next couple of weeks will be filled with classwork and studying, in what will likely be a vain attempt to make up for the last month of interviews. In other news, Admit Weekend I is this weekend, and I'm looking forward to getting a glimpse of the candidate pool for next year's class!!

7 Comments:

At 12:05 AM, February 28, 2006, Blogger sorebrek said...

Well we did bring you out of the winter hibernation after all, huh? It was good to meet you too. Thanks for your wishes - I felt very welcome and at ease at Chi. Congratulations on the multiple offers! Keep bloggin will you?!

 
At 2:03 PM, February 28, 2006, Blogger mandar said...

Finally! Yeah, on-campus recruiting was a... nevermind. I'm in the same boat -- a few offers to consider, but more importantly, I have to figure out what classes I'm taking this quarter -- because I kinda forgot about them :)

 
At 9:07 AM, March 01, 2006, Blogger Huckle Cat said...

Hurrah! LV's back! Forget about classes-- we've got some celebrating to do!

 
At 8:35 PM, March 02, 2006, Blogger mkk said...

Offers, eh? Congrats!! What are you considering? Do share! Btw, this is my first comment on your blog after I found you by accident...

 
At 10:00 PM, March 04, 2006, Blogger Le Voyageur said...

thx for the shout-outs y'all. we'll see if i can keep on keepin' on with the blogging. meghaks, any chance you're thinking of shifting your blog from zanga to blogger? i believe the appropriate phrase for it would 'network externalities'... ;)

 
At 1:23 PM, March 05, 2006, Blogger mkk said...

Yes yes... I have thought about it but I can not figure out how to tranfer all my old blogs to blogger. I think there might be a way but I've been to lazy to do it. No one reads my blog... and I'm kinda ok with that :-)

 
At 2:04 PM, March 05, 2006, Blogger Le Voyageur said...

meghaks - peeps read your blog... but we just can't post on it without having to get another bloody login and password, which is why you haven't seen comments from me and other readers on xanga. make the switch and you'll see. i'm adding you to my list, but hopefully you'll jump the xanga ship soon enough.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home