MBA Peregrinations

Charting the course of my travels through the MBA experience.

Sunday, September 18, 2005

Master of Bid-ness Administration

Bidding for classes was painful. I'm pretty poor at explaining the complexity of the bidding system, so I'll refer you to Mandar and PowerYogi for a better explanation. After hours of agonizing over which classes, which professors, all possible combinations of schedules, and the million-dollar question of how many points, I threw up my hands and just plain guessed. Yes, it was a guess based on historical data, limited knowledge of the current market and perceived value of the classes, but it was a guess nonetheless. It was my first experience in business school making an important decision based on imperfect, limited data. And that's what business is like - the data will be imperfect, the time to make the decision limited, and there is no pat answer or clear path. Business leaders are those that can make successful decisions despite these limitations. So what was the upshot of my bid-ness skills? I did manage to get all of my classes, but the jury is out on whether I picked the right ones. I won't really know until a few weeks into class.

2 Comments:

At 2:15 PM, September 19, 2005, Blogger PowerYogi said...

"Business leaders are those that can make successful decisions ..." wow, now that's deep. the gsb's got you good, hasn't it

:-)

 
At 5:46 PM, September 19, 2005, Blogger Le Voyageur said...

Don't start with me PY, lest I throw an I-message in your direction... ;)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home