MBA Peregrinations

Charting the course of my travels through the MBA experience.

Sunday, September 18, 2005

Hiking in the Andes, Part V - The Ride Home

The day that we explored Machu Picchu was filled with a sense of accomplishment and awe. We had managed to survive the trek (some of us barely) to get there, and were rewarded with a stunning example of Incan ingenuity. Soon after we returned to Aguas Calientes for lunch, it started to pour rain. Note that not once did I mention a heavy rain throughout our hike, only a light drizzle on the 2nd night. We were extremely lucky with the weather and only encountered rain when it was no longer a big nuisance. On the trail (especially that cold first night), rain would have been very unwelcome. But shopping for souvenirs in the outdoor market on a rainy afternoon in Aguas Calientes - no problem. We donned our plastic ponchos and explored for a bit.

Later we took a train back to Cuzco. For some, the 4-hr train ride was a great excuse to nap. But they missed all of the action. Believe it or not, in the middle of the train ride, the attendants that had just served us drinks and a snack turned on some funky music and did a fashion show on the train. With ‘Vogue’ playing on the speaker system, the male and female attendant donned different outfits and catwalked down the aisle of the train. It was SURREAL.

That evening, we had a huge dinner in Cuzco, and partied it up. All of the drinking that we couldn’t do while on the trail, we made up for, and then some, that evening. After hitting multiple clubs, drinking copious amounts of liquor, and seeing a side of my fellow trailmates that I hadn’t previously witnessed, I felt that my Peruvian trip was truly complete.

The morning after, I found myself rushing to pack (the front desk forgot our wake-up call) with a vicious hangover. We flew to Lima and spent the day just hanging out, followed by dinner at an upscale restaurant on the beach. Soon afterwards, we left for the airport and headed home.

Despite all of the difficulties during the hike, I am so glad that I went to Peru and have no regrets. The scenery was magnificent and the company was stellar. The entire trip was an amazing journey - one that I feel lucky to have experienced. I also realize (a few weeks afterwards) how much this experience built a community among the Peru travelers. At nearly every school event (both academic and social) that I've attended, there has been at least one fellow Peru random walk classmate present. While I don't spend the entire time looking for familiar faces and try to meet new people, it helps to know someone there that I can converse with easily. In essence, there is a raised level of comfort and respect among the Peru folks, and a support system is in place among us. In the game of 'networking' and building relationships that is so integral to the business school experience, there is high value in having this support system.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home