MBA Peregrinations

Charting the course of my travels through the MBA experience.

Saturday, July 23, 2005

Drivin' Cross Country

Here is the path:
California -> Arizona -> Nevada -> Utah -> Colorado -> Nebraska -> Iowa -> Illinois.

You find creative ways to pass the time on a road trip. There are only so many debates one can have about gay marriage or the revaluation of the Yuan before the conversation degenerates. I start to go stir-crazy being in the car all day, and have managed to see some strange sights and amuse myself in some less-than-intellectual ways...

- 'Pooning' other drivers and trying to avoid being 'pooned'. (definition: To 'poon' someone is to figuratively harpoon onto another driver breaking the speed limit. You end up going just as fast, but are behind and less likely to get caught speeding.)
- Passing by the town of Zzyzx in California near the Mojave Desert and thinking it was the strangest name I would see.
- Passing by the town of What Cheer in Iowa and being wrong.
- Seeing 'wireless internet' listed next to 'bathrooms' and 'vending machines' as one of the features at a rest stop.
- Guessing which fast-food joints one can find in the next podunk town. *shudder*
- Passenger singing loudly and obnoxiously to driver, and being threatened with 'Stop or so help me I will swerve, crash, and kill us both.'
- Being close enough to civilization to have a tower nearby and decent mobile phone reception, so that I can post this entry from a laptop while in the car on I-80.

Technically, the path should continue onto Indiana and then back to Illinois because I'm going to crash with a friend in South Bend tonight, and then drive to Chicago tomorrow. Almost there!

3 Comments:

At 6:05 PM, July 23, 2005, Blogger PowerYogi said...

nebraska - did you drive by Carhenge ? i didn't know such a thing existed until a few hours ago when i chanced upon it in a magazine ! a stonehenge recreations with cars :)

 
At 7:57 PM, July 23, 2005, Blogger Keven said...

Pooning is cool on long trips. A lot of times it's the only thing keeping me awake.

 
At 6:26 PM, July 24, 2005, Blogger Le Voyageur said...

PY - No, I didn't see Carhenge. But I'm not quite sure if that is something I regret not seeing.

Keven - I was lucky enough to have a companion during the drive to poke me when I got sleepy. The pooning was just for shits and giggles.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home