MBA Peregrinations

Charting the course of my travels through the MBA experience.

Saturday, June 04, 2005

Cool Cafe in Pula, Hrvatska

Certain names of cities and countries outside of the States don't always match up to how they are spelled or pronounced within the States. For example, what we call 'Munich' in the States is actually 'München' in Germany. Not quite the same, but not too far off. I am at a loss as to how we got 'Croatia' from 'Hrvatska'.

Anyhow, I'm sitting in a cool cybercafe in Pula, Hrvatska/Croatia. Its part internet cafe, part lounge, part art exhibit. If I was in good health and not dressed all schlubby, I'd be sipping a cosmo instead of the hot tea that I'm downing right now.

I am officially a mess. My illness has morphed into a nasty, chesty cough and a runny nose. The mosquito bites that I got while circling Lake Bled are now extremely visible and swollen, so each of my arms and legs has multiple large pink welts. And I have a pile of tissues next to me. Nope, definitely not at one with my chic surroundings.

Pula is on the northern coast of Croatia at the end of the Istrian Peninsula. The city has many a Roman artifact, and yesterday I took a look at the Temple of Augustus and the Arch of Sergius. After checking out the Amphitheater later today, I am off to Rijeka (pronounced ri-yay-ka) to catch the ferry down to Dubrovnik, which is also on the coast but on the southern tip of Croatia. The mainland Croatian coastline extends over 1700 km - not counting the many islands that are peppered along the coast.

But before hitting the coast, I'm going to hit a pharmacy for some cough medicine...

3 Comments:

At 5:10 PM, June 05, 2005, Blogger VR said...

Funny how the Internet cafe attendant doesn't leave comments after you're visibly sick...

It's Hrvatska, not Hvratska, by the way.

 
At 4:36 AM, June 06, 2005, Blogger PowerYogi said...

so, what do you know. after getting increasingly envious of your travels, i decided last week to take off myself and here i am sitting in a cafe in amsterdam ! haven't found time to blog yet, but it's my second day already here and i'm lovin it. next stop: no idea. we'll see how it goes.

and take care of yourself

 
At 6:37 AM, June 06, 2005, Blogger Le Voyageur said...

rfk - thanks for the note, fixed in the post.

py - wow!! you rock! looking forward to reading your pot-induced ramblings on amsterdam and the rest of your travels. enjoy and let me know if you decide to head east!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home