MBA Peregrinations

Charting the course of my travels through the MBA experience.

Friday, May 20, 2005

What Type of Traveller Are You?

My hostel is a quaint and friendly place, run by folks fluent in English (huge plus). I was chatting yesterday with the couple that helps the owners run the place. We were talking about travel guides, and which ones were the best to use. No concensus was reached, but one girl mentioned that the 'Let's Go' guide that she used recently had a lot of info that was simply incorrect. 'Lonely Planet' was slightly better in terms of the accuracy of info, but everyone and their mother uses it (yours truly included), so it tends to turn the places mentioned into tourist magnets.

There is a market for guidebooks based on different types of travellers and different budgets. And when I say different 'types' of travellers, I am not just referring to those that stay in a hotel versus a hostel. Other factors that distinguish experiences - flexibility, what the traveller is looking for during the experience, and whether he or she wants to (or is willing to based on the opportunities presented) take the path more or less traveled. I wonder if 'Lonely Planet' and other guidebooks are segmenting the market effectively.

Ruminating on the type of traveller that I am, I definitely do not fall into either the 'will only see the attractions and go where the guidebook suggests' bucket nor the 'refuse to do anything that involves other tourists and always want to forage new ground' bucket. I fall somewhere in between, probably closer to the earlier bucket. And I am a bit more adventurous and willing to take a new path when I have company, due more to safety than comfort. Perhaps I need to get further outside of my comfort zone...

1 Comments:

At 3:47 AM, May 25, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

3 points:

1. I stayed right around the corner from Krumlov House at U Vodnika when I was there.

2. The fact that you're spending time thinking about market segmentation in a gorgeous town like Cesky Krumlov proves that you will feel right at home in the GSB.

3. It's a lot of fun wandering around lost in an Eastern European forest at 5 AM.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home