MBA Peregrinations

Charting the course of my travels through the MBA experience.

Sunday, May 01, 2005

What me, work? No longer now that I have the answer to life...

Friday was my last day on the job before leaving to go to school. Bittersweet - I'll definitely miss some of those folks. But if I stay in healthcare, I will likely run into them again. It's a small industry. Though I don't believe that my brain has fully accepted the fact that I won't be at work for the next couple of years. That will probably kick in on the plane flight to Europe.

Today was a science fiction themed day. I went to a used bookstore to pick up some reading material for the flight. R. taught me the method that I now often adopt during travel - 'read and discard'. I buy a cheap paperback to finish on the flight, and then leave it there. The next person gets a free read, and I have one less thing to carry. Eschewing incidentals is very handy when traveling, and even handier when planning a cross-country move. So I bought the 2 books in the 'Dune' series that I have not read yet - 'Heretics' and 'Chapterhouse'. In the evening, I went to the theater to see 'Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy'. Having not read the book, I didn't really know what to expect. I was amused, and am now inspired to absorb the madness directly through the words of Mr. Adams.

I never thought that I would enjoy sci-fi... I was guilty of pigeonholing all sci-fi lovers into an archetype. But a few years ago, I chanced the original 'Dune'. 3 days later, I finished it and changed my opinion of sci-fi novels and the people that read them. Thanks in part to Frank, I've broadened my horizons about sci-fi and other pastimes like anime. Soon after this epiphany, I fell in love with an anime film called 'Spirited Away' by Miyazake (never before thought I would be one to enjoy anime). Although I don't claim to be a sci-fi or anime fanatic, I am more willing to give them a shot now that some paradigms of each genre have proven my notions false. There is only one truth my friends... and that is 42.

5 Comments:

At 12:50 PM, May 04, 2005, Blogger PowerYogi said...

voyageur, good to see yet another Chicago blogger. bienvenue !

 
At 11:32 PM, May 04, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sweet home Chicago. Man that is a good city. Great Blues

 
At 11:43 PM, May 04, 2005, Blogger Le Voyageur said...

Merci pour le salutation PY!

 
At 8:39 AM, June 08, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 2:19 PM, June 20, 2005, Blogger Le Voyageur said...

T -

The pics are rather difficult to download using public compys. Will do once I return. And I had to delete your comment. In addition to the raunchy verbiage, you used my name... ;)

Le V

 

Post a Comment

<< Home