MBA Peregrinations

Charting the course of my travels through the MBA experience.

Saturday, May 21, 2005

Outside of my Comfort Zone

Today, I decided to rent a bike and go on a day trip. I normally don't do bikes unless I know it will be a relatively flat and easy ride because me on wheels (other than a car) is asking for pain. But I chose to get outside of my comfort zone and give it another go. The upshot was less than stellar.

I managed to get lost, and ended up on a narrow trail just outside of the main part of town. I then took a tumble off the side and landed with my head facing downhill on a steep slope, in thorny bushes, with my bike on top of me. So I'm lying there, bruised and stuck, thinking "S$%&! I really should have learned Czech for 'help'."

I wasn't really panicking yet, but knew I was in a pickle. I couldn't move without getting poked by thorns, and I could not get the bike off of me - the slope was too steep and I was too wedged into the bushes. Luckily, a local walked by on the trail about 10 minutes later and helped me out. I exercised my knowledge of 'thank you' in Czech profusely, and then went back into town.

Got away easy - only a few splinters, a scratched-up arm, and clothing with holes to show for it. The rest of the afternoon will be spent outside of my comfort zone again - learning how to say 'help' in Czech while sitting in a cafe.

1 Comments:

At 12:11 PM, May 22, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Reminds me of a bike ride I took in St. George, Utah. I figure - eh, it's not that many miles. Like 1/3 of the way there, realizing I had little water left, I turned around. It was about then I realized I was biking slightly uphill the entire time. I don't think I pedaled on the way back. That was my last foray into renting bikes with the intent of getting somewhere.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home