MBA Peregrinations

Charting the course of my travels through the MBA experience.

Wednesday, May 18, 2005

Last Day in Praha

I spent the afternoon exploring Josefov (the Jewish quarter) and the collection of synagogues in the area. In the evening, I went to dinner with some folks at an organic vegetarian restaurant - I didn't believe those existed here.

I wonder whether I took the right approach to my time here. Like any big city with healthy tourism, Praha can be both welcoming and impersonal. The locals are desensitized to tourists, and its rare to interact with them on a deeper level without staying a long time and speaking Czech. Most of the people I met came to Praha from abroad to work or study. Few were fluent in Czech, and only one was a native.

Don't get me wrong, people were friendly in general and the ones I met were warm and affable. But (understandably so) there is little impetus for a local to spend time with someone so transitory. So I visited the tourist attractions, and met whomever I met along the way. Most human interactions and existence itself is fleeting, so is sharing a beer and having a conversation with someone really 'worth' more than visiting a castle or a cathedral?

There is a spectrum of experiences that travellers seek. In general, I leaned towards the latter for my stay in Praha. Visiting a castle and learning about its history was an experience that I consciously chose more often than sitting in a cafe and trying to chat with people. I also intentionally sought the types of interactions that went a bit deeper than spending just an hour with someone. The people I met, I met multiple times. Limiting? Perhaps. More meaningful? Definitely.

2 Comments:

At 1:33 AM, May 20, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good points. I see you are taking advantage of the civicspace s out there to find all sorts of interesting folks, even at an organic restaurant where the food would be at best drupal I think.

Perhaps in a civicspace other than Prague, there would be more people inclined to meet the "foreigner" and not dismiss them immediately as just drupal and someone who should be kicked out of civicspace as soon as possible. It's hard to tell.

Hope you enjoy the Gothic architecture in the civicspace of Chicago more after seeing all these drupal castles in Europe.

 
At 2:23 PM, June 20, 2005, Blogger Le Voyageur said...

My my, what shameless plugging K...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home